John Stockdale

          John Stockdale was born in 1833 in Muskegon County near Zanesville, Ohio.  He moved with his parents at and early age to Indiana.  Cinderella Davis was born in Gambia Knox County, Ohio in 1836.  Her family also moved to Indiana, where she met and married John Stockdale in 1852.  Soon after their marriage both were converted and joined the Methodist Church, both remaining members to the end of their lives.

In the spring of 1870, the couple and their two small children moved to Cowley County near Cedar Vale.  Mr. Stockdale helped organize the first Sunday School in that county and took an active part in erecting the first Methodist Church in Cedar Vale.  When a class was organized at Otter Creek, John became the Class Leader and Sunday School Superintendent.  In the fall of 1887, the couple moved to Grenola.  They were active in the Church and community.  John served as Police Judge for the city of Grenola from 1889 to 1902 and was Justice of the Peace from 1900 to 1912.  The couple had ten children, but two died in infancy.  The children listed at the time of their death were: Francis M., Curtis W., Jacob W. James Alex, Alice Bartholomew, Celia Dewitt, May Bishop, and Sarah Camp. 

         The couple celebrated their 5oth wedding anniversary at the home of the son, J. A. Stockdale.  “Their children and twenty-one grandchildren formed a choir and sung the couple’s favorite hymns.  Then a prayer was offered by their pastor, giving thanks for fifty years of happiness.”  They enjoyed nine more years together until Cinderella died in 1911 at the age of 75.  John died in 1917.

         Jacob Stockdale was born in 1866 in Indiana.  He was three when the family arrived in Cowley County..  As a young man, he went to Thayer, Kansas where he met and married Marietta Curry .Of their seven children, two sons died in infancy and Virgil at the age of then.  The surviving son was Ivan who lived in Lakeland, Florida. Daughters were Laura Brown, Marcelle Flippin, and Mrs. Florence Konkel of Cherryvale. 

         At the time of their marriage, Jacob took his bride to a claim he had staked in Oklahoma, where they lived only a short time because of a fire which destroyed their home and all the contents.  They returned to Kansas and farmed in Elk and Chautauqua counties until 1903 when they moved to Grenola. In 1917 they moved to Montgomery County where he followed the carpenter trade.  Toward the end of his life they lived at Independence.  Jacob listened to sermons on the radio station KIND and watched the activities across the street at Elk Valley Alfalfa Mill.  He died at age eighty-three and his wife died three years later.   

         We don’t know too much about Curtis Stockdale, except that he lived most of his life at Cedar Vale and he was married to Kitty May Hawkins.  His children were Rilla Stockdale was born in 1900 and died in 1984.  In 193, she married Charles Dinger, a successful young rancher and they made their home north west of Grenola.  Later she married Oliver Darby.  Oliver lived to be 102.  Rilla had no children.

         Ola Mae Stockdale was born in 1894 at Glenco, Oklahoma.  When a small child they lived in Hewins, then moved to Cedar Vale, She married W.E. Littrell in 1912.  There were no children.

They had two more sisters; Ora Berger who lived in California and Ollie Newton. 

         The one son of Curtis was Oliver Floyd Stockdale.  Floyd was born in 1917, graduated from Cedar Vale High School, married Helen C. Patterson of Oklahoma in 1941. He served with the Air Force as a parachute rigger during WW II.  Floyd was living in Howard, Kansas when he died in 1995.  He had been managing a Hardware store there after a career of teaching Industrial Arts in several places in Kansas. 

         The following news article is all the information we have about Frank M. 

“Frank Stockdale, Alex Stockdale and family and their sister Debbie all left Monday morning for Colorado.  Alex and family are going to make their home there and Miss Stockdale thinks of staying a couple of years at least, while Frank, as many of our readers already know, has made his home out here for a number of years.  He first went to that country in 1879 and later, in 1882, located a ranch and engaged in the cattle business and has made a success of it from the start.  These cattle are grazed on the Lone Cone Range, on the Nautrata, a considerable mountain stream emptying into the San Miguel River and live the year round on the grasses without other feeding.  He considers Colorado one of the greatest stock countries in the world.  He is located 15 miles from Placerville, the nearest railroad station across by trail and is twenty-eight miles from that point around by wagon road.” The Grenola Chief, Oct 21, 1892.

         Deborah Mae Stockdale was born in 1873 in the Otter Creek neighborhood.  Debbie may have stayed in Colorado a year or so, however in 1898, she married Willis Kincaid Bishop.  Willis was the son of D.J. Bishop, a civil war veteran and his wife Maggie Ware.  Of their six children, two boys died in infancy.  At the time of Deborah’s death in 1943 here children were: Margaret Hobauch, Alice Graves of Hammond Indiana, Marie Terrell of Portland, Oregon and Vern Bishop of Dewey, Oklahoma.

We told about James Alex last week.  He married Cora Lynn Campbell and they had tree children, Claire, Charlie and Ethel.  Alex was a rural mail carrier for 28 years.  In an article about his retirement in 1932 he writes that he had traveled enough miles to go around the world 105 times. He had worn out two new mail wagons, one buggy, a Motor cycle, two or three sets of harness, and seven new cars.  He had served under four Post Masters: O.C. Shackelford, Ellis Mann, Floyd Flory and the present post master, Charles E. Schul.

Alex and Cora Lynn seemed to have been happy outgoing people; they often entertained the rest of the family.  Alex served as Sunday School Superintendent nearly the whole time he was carrying the mail and he was always ready to render his service in song at any funeral or public gathering.  He was always a worker for the good of the community and described as a “dandy good neighbor.”

However, their life was not always rosy.  In 1922 their twenty-one year old daughter, Ethel died. She had taught a term at Greenfield School and was teaching at Independent School when she came down with an illness.  Her mother stayed with her in the hospital in Wichita until she died. 

The obituaries usually contained lengthy paragraphs about the deceased person’s faith and Church affiliation.  Death was an ever present reality and they were able to deal with whatever life handed them with their active Christian faith. 

         Sarah E. Stockdale was born back in Indiana in 1860.  She married William A. Camp in 1878.  They made their home at Belknap.  Their children were Cinderella Neubecker, Myrtle Barnard, Bessie Hopper, Mary Emo, Ben Camp, John Camp, and one son who died in infancy.        

You can see that we are going to run across many people that we know here, so we will wait until next week to tell about the Camp family

The Schul Family

We learned about the three Schul brothers, who emigrated from Germany, actually Prussia to escape the oppression of the Russians.  Their father encouraged them to leave as teen-agers as he didn’t want them to be conscripted in the Russian Army.  The eldest brother was Konrad, pronounced Coon-rod. Konrad and Elzina had eight children who lived to adulthood.  The second brother was Adam, who had ten children, the third was John, whose family was listed last week. 

Konrad and Elzina’s son, John K., was married to Elsie Scyphers.  Their children were: 1. Wayne. 2. Ellen, who married Oscar W. Sjoholm of Sublette, Ks. in 1948.  3. Leona married (Robert Purkey of Moline in 1942.  Bob was employed at the Ammunitions Plant in Parsons; and 4.Irene Ash.

Wayne was the father of Carolyn Tarr who visited the museum last week. John K. and Elsie lived on a farm near Star School in the beautiful big two story house where Gene and Margaret Cain live. 

          Konrad’s son, Roy (1887) was married to Maude May.  Their son, Harold died at age 36 in 1948, another son died as a small child.  Their daughter Gladys was married to Arlis Bohannan.  They had three children who were also our school mates; Gerald, Loretta, and Darline.  John and Maude lived out east of town on Cyclone Road.  When the tornado came through in 1956, their house was completely destroyed.  This was nearly fifty years before the road was named. They moved to town and lived in the Ed Young home for their remaining years. Maude died in 1963 and Roy in 1981. 


         Charles Edward was another son of Konrad, born in Douglas County in 1873. He came to Grenola with his parents when he was a small child and grew to manhood in the Independent school district   He was married to Pearl Alice Konkel in 1896 in Grenola.  The couple had seven sons plus one who died in infancy.  They were members of the Brethern Church. They moved to Grenola and transferred their membership to the Grenola Methodist Church in 1923.  Charles was an active member of the IOOF, was a rural mail carrier for many years and Post Master for sixteen years.  He also operated a grocery store.  In October of 1936, the Grenola Gazette tells us that Schul and Logsdon were in the process of opening a grocery store.

         His sons listed at the time of his death in 1952: 1. Claude of Humboldt, 2. Frank of McPherson, 3. Willie of Cut Bank, Montana, 4. Freddy of Odessa, Texas, 5. Clarence of Wichita, 6. Allen of Moline and 7. Lloyd of Odessa, Texas. 

         Clarence “Dan” Schul (1905-1993) was married to Loma Storms, daughter of Elmer and Anna Storms of Grenola in 1927.  Their two sons were Jack of Wichita and Charles of Keene, N.H.  Dan worked for John Bacus at the Grenola Elevator and was maintenance man at the Wichita Art Museum for a number of years.  Jack is a member of the GHS and helped in the restoration of the Independent School.

         Allen T. (1901-1967) was married to Margaret Hoenstein of Elk Falls.  He served as Elk county Treasurer for a number of years, before moving to Wichita.  

         We know that Frank C. married Miss Ruby Watkins of Sycamore in 1926. William married Ethel May Angel of north Cana Street in Grenola. Loyd E. Schul was married to Evalyn Gibbons, daughter of Judge and Mrs. W.M. Gibbons of Howard in 1942. Lloyd was employed as assistant manager of Burr Stores in Batesville, Arkansas.


The middle brother, Adam was born in Pfordt, Germany in 1848.  He died in 1907, at the age of 58.  His obituary written by his friend George Eller is very brief, stating that he leaves two brothers, one sister, ten children and four stepchildren.  He was a member of the Brethern Church and George Eller was the pastor and conducted his funeral.  We know his two brothers; his sister was Christine who married a man named Link and remained in Germany.  He was married to Syntha and after her death, Maggie Banning.  Their children were: 1. Phillip, married to Arvilla Landsdown, he owned a music store in Moline, then continued the same business in Wichita. 2. Kate Schul was married to Frank Wyant.  2. Lula married Roy Chileman. 3. Rosetta was married to Robert Ray.  4. Addie married A.M. Hensley of Burden in 1915.  5. Katherine C. married Frank Wyant. 6, Anna, 7. Edna: and 8. Grace 9. Lela Gayer, an infant when their mother Syntha died in 1893 at the age of 35.  And 10. Clifton Schul born to Adam and his second wife Maggie.  Maggie died at the age of 39.

.Anna Schul born in 1909, married Harvey L. Hawkins.  They had four sons, Lee who died in 1965, Charley, Lester and Glenn.  The last three have been active members of the GHS. Charley married Lucy Hawkins, who passed away in May of this year.  Charley is still living in a care home in Wichita.  Lester D. was born in 1916.  He married Lorene Wallace from Howard.  Their children are Ed Hawkins, David Hawkins, and daughter Joanna whose husband, Steve White, was born in Grenola.  Lester died in 2005.  Glenn was born in 1918 and passed away in 2005 and is buried in Wichita.

         Estella Grace Schul was born in 1887.  She married George Riley Elder, Pastor of the Church of the Brethern in 1927.  The church was located near the corner of Road 8 and Evergreen. George, from Virginia was ordained into the ministry in1892.  He had seven grown children, when his wife died.  Grace was active in the church and helped George with pastoral work.  Upon his retirement and the closing of the Brethern Church, the couple moved to Grenola and joined the Methodist Church, living in the house to the south of the Church.  George died in 1949 at the age of 79.  Grace lived until 1981, and is remembered as a faithful church member, living a life of serene and gentle faith.

         Edna Schul (1891-1972) married Jerry Liebau (1885-1964).  They lived just north of Grenola on Road 5, in the beautiful big house that has been moved and restored by Bobby Miller. Their children were Gilbert and Alberta.  In 1936 Alberta married Harold Young in Cottonwood Falls.  Harold was a young farmer and Alberta was teacher 3rd and 4th Grade in Grenola. They lived on their farm north of Howard, later moving to town.  They have one daughter, Cora Belle Ames.  Alberta is a retired teacher and presently lives in assisted living in Mulvane.  Her husband died recently.

         Gilbert Liebau (1908-1975) was married to Enah Aldina Nelson (1910- 1976) of Cedar Vale.  Their children were Franklin G. “Buck” and Priscilla. 

In 1926, Gilbert went to work for the Union Pacific Railroad in Laramie, Wyoming, first as a fireman, then as an engineer.  He retired in 1974 after 47 years.

F.G “Buck was born in Grenola in 1933.  He graduated from Laramie High School and married Donna Joann Robison of Laramie.  They moved to Grenola where they made their home on the Liebau ranch north of town, and operated an Aerial Spray Service.  Their children are Ken, Grenola, Chuck of Cambridge, and Vickie Shore, who now lives in Grenola.  Ken is married to Nancy Durbin of Moline and they have two sons, Judd and Jake.  Chuck is married to Jackie Hawley and they have a daughter, Amy and a son Andy.  Chuck has painted pictures of the Grenola Elevator and Berry’s Sundries. (Drugstore) Vickie was married to Richard Shore and has two daughters.  The entire Liebau family has been very supportive of the Museum.  Ken and Nancy deeded the lots where the Independent School stands.  There are a number of items on display in the museum that have been provided by this family. 

Buck and Joann were killed in a tragic plane crash as they were returning from Laramie in February of 1999.  The stone sign at the entrance of Grenola was erected as a memorial to the couple. 

         Priscilla was born in Grenola and attended first grade at the Greenfield School.  After the family moved to Wyoming, they visited here frequently.  Priscilla graduated from the University of Wyoming at Laramie, where she met and married Ron Rivers.  Ron played basketball 1954-1956 for the Phillips 66’ers. They devoted their lives to education, living in Bartlesville, Ok.,  Grand Junction, Denver and Pueblo in Colorado and Colby, Kansas, before moving to Grenola in the 80’s. Their three children were raised here.  Robin Rivers has just accepted the position of head athletic trainer at Southwestern College in Winfield:  Rhonda is married to Clay Stone of Emporia; they are both educators and have two sons.  Randy Rivers is Superintendent of schools at Arma, Kansas.  He and his wife Christie are the parents of two children.  Ron passed away in 1990.  Priscilla is semi-retired from teaching and recently received an award for serving twenty-five years as a government weather tracker.

         The Canadian visitors to the Schul family reunion and the museum were descended from Johannes Schul a first cousin of Konrad, Adam, and John. 
Grenola Families   N  to Z
The  Stegelman  Family

  by Jack Stegelman    8 / 2006

The Stegelman family came from Germany.  Christian  Wilhelm  (17yrs.) came to Dodge County Nebraska in 1873.  In 1891 he married Earnestina Kersteine, To this union were born,  Emma, Fred " Fritz ", Elizabeth, Bertha, Henry, Rudolph and Garrett.  They moved from Dodge County Nebraska to  Ft. Collins, Colo. in 1910,  A few years later moved to a farm 2 and half miles south of Grenola.

The girls of the family married and moved away.  Rudolph died after ww1. Henry married Francis Halfhill in 1925. They had three boys,  Rollin (Dutch), Elvin Lee and Alfred.  Rollin married Doris McClure, Her parents were Guy and Elsie McClure. They had three children, Richard Stanley, Saundra Sue, and Linda Jo. Elvin Lee married Carol Allison and moved to Laramie WY.  They had two children, Connie and Daniel. Elvin died in 1976 in Laramie, WY.

Alfred moved to Laramie, WY and later married Lorian Hicks.  The boys all attended the Canola Country School for eight years and then came to Grenola Public High School.  Alfred and Lorian had five children, William, Mark Allen, Larie, Kenneth, and Daileen. Henry's Family lived on and farmed the original farm 2 1/2 miles. south of Grenola until his death in 1964.

Fred "Fritz"  lived on the farm with Henry & Francis, He never married.  He was a tractor mechanic and worked the wheat harvest in Okla. and Kansas.  He died in 1969.

Garrett married Faye Clark of Moline in 1926, in Sedan.  At that time Garrett was a mechanic in the Miller garage in Grenola.  They moved into a house on south main street in Grenola, and lived there until death in 1987.  Garrett and Faye had three children,  Jack, born in the house on south main on sept. 8, 1931.  Gary Max born in 1940 and died a month later with pneumonia.  Rita Kay was born  April 17, 1943.  Jack & Rita Kay both attended Grenola Public School and graduated from high school there, Jack in 1949 and Rita Kay in 1961.  Jack attended all grades in the old red brick school building.

In 1951, Jack joined the US Air Force and flew 29 bombing missions over north Korea as a B-29 gunner Jack married Voncille McGee from Katie, OK on June 28, 1958 in Elmore City, OK.  Voncille had come to Grenola High School teaching Home Economics and English.  In fact, she had Rita Kay in her classes.

After the USAF I worked at Boeing Wichita for four years, then I accepted a position at American Airlines in Tulsa, OK, in the electronics/avionics dept.  I worked there for 36 yrs. until retirement in 1995.  We live in Catoosa, OK, and have two kids Michael and Lisa and six grand children.

After high school Rita Kay attended Wichita Business College  where she met James Rush.  They were married 6/10/62.  Jim was employed by several petroleum companies and had his own company. Later he formed his own real estate company.  Rita Kay was employed for several years in Scottsdale.  They have two boys, Todd and Brad and have three grand children.  They live in Scottsdale, AZ.

Garrett Had a garage & service station on the east side of the street across from the lumber yard.  He serviced and overhauled cars, painted cars, made fishing boats, installed and serviced TV's and drove a school bus.  He was best known for making out income tax returns for the whole area.

Garrett went to school at Canola county school, his teachers were R.T.Davis and Claria Marshell.  During lunch hour all the boys would take their .22 rifles out and hunt rabbits until the school board made them stop.  Rudolph, Henry, Fritz and Emma also attended Canola.
Faye was very active in the Grenola Methodist Church.  She also was employed at the Winfield State Hospital for a number of years.


  Earnestine  Stegelman  was born in Germany,  September 20, 1857, and came  to America  in  1873.    She was married to John Pobanz in 1873 here in America in Dodge county,  Nebraska.  To this union seven children were born.  After the death of her first husband,  she  married  "C. W."  Stegelman in  April  1891.  To this union was born  Mrs. Emma Shockly and Fred "Fritz" Stegelman (twins); Mrs. Elizabeth Booth,  Mrs. Bertha McKee,  Henry Stegelman, Rudolph Stegelman  and Garrett Stegelman. She was the mother of fifteen children.    Mrs. Stegelman  never employed a doctor except in child birth.  She was always strong and  rugged and the angel of death found her at work canning  peaches.  Becoming warm she stepped out on the porch and sat down,  her husband "C. W."  who was blind spoke to her,  she did not answer,  he stepped out, placed his hand on her and found her dead.  Going to the phone he called the doctor, who pronounced it heart trouble. Thus, a good mother was called to rest from her labors and her husband and children are called to mourn the loss of a good faithful wife, a loving and self sacrificing mother.

  She passed away about 4 p.m.  Saturday, Augest 6, 1927, and the funeral was held at the Christian Church in Grenola, Monday at 2:30 p.m.   The funeral was conducted by Mrs Belle Yates of Elk City, Ks.    She was confirmed and baptized into the Christian Lutheran Church in Germanyand was a member of the same church in Nebraska.

Charles E. Thompson

            John W. Thompson, who homesteaded two miles south of Grenola.  An 1883 Atlas shows this property just north of the T.P. Hawkins homestead and bordered by the Caney River.  To the north the land owned now by the Jordan family was the Greenwood homestead.

            Charles E. Thompson was born April 4, 1857,in Winterset, Madison County, Iowa and came with his father, the late and well known J.W. Thompson, to what was then Howard County but now known as Elk County. 

           He taught school a few terms, (one term at Hard Pan) and later turned his attention to farming and livestock. In March 1883, Mr. Thompson was married to Cora A. Musgrave, daughter of Dr. R.C. Musgrave one of the pioneer physicians of Elk County.  Five children were born to the couple: George Newton., Charles Dodd (Tot), Robert John (R.J.) all of Grenola, Paul Milton of Howard and Mrs. W.M.(Nellie) Jones of St. Louis.

        These words were used to describe Charles E. in his obituary from the Grenola Leader in October of 1924.  “Mr Thompson was a man of great force of character and strong and keen intellect.  In his business he succeeded in a large way.  Due to his frugal habits of life he obtained a good start when his keen insight taught him future values.  He had foresight of comlytical power led him into safe conditions far greater than most men of the time.  The same anachannels of business when disaster overcomes lesser men.  He was a giant among men in his class and circumstances.  He was self made, influenced necessarily by his surroundings and the circumstances, but reacting powerfully upon his surroundings.  He was an example and pattern, which many men followed in business affairs. 

           Mr. Thompson was largely self-taught and was a keen student, not so much of books and systems of thought, but of men and conditions, of the human affairs he came in contact with.  He knew the trend of governmental affairs and to talk with him on such things was to gain in understanding.  He was of retiring disposition and not assertive but was free with his near friends and congenial with all who came in close contact with him.  A keen flash of kindly humor often came into his conversation and illuminating words and phrases would surprise his reader and tell of deep currents of thought in his mind and keen powers of analysis. There are few men who have broken through limiting circumstances as he did.

            He was a man of uprightness and just in his dealing, so drawing the respect and confidence of whom he met in a business way.  He had his own high standard of integrity and held to it with firmness.”


Charles’ wife, Cora Ann Thompson died in Howard, Jan 21., 1941.  Age 78.  “She was born in Wayne County, Illinois, Nov. 15, 1862 and came to Kansas with her parents in 1871.  Her parents were Dr. Robert C. Musgrave and Zilpa Ann Green Musgrave.  Her father was the first physician to locate in old Canola and later helped move the village of Canola to the railroad, the present city of Grenola.  She is survived by a brother, Dr. Robert Green Musgrave, now living in California. 

She was a lover of music, poetry and people.  All ages had their appeal to her and their problems became her personal concern. 

           A brief funeral service was held at the Moon Funeral home Thurs. Jan 23 and the funeral was held at the Methodist Church in Grenola.  She was a charter member of the church and its organist and choir director for several years.  Her interest was always with that little church and its problems, although she was a member of the Methodist Church in Howard at the time of her death.   Burial in Greenlawn Cemetery. The Grenola Gazette, January 30, 1941.

Charles E. and  Cora Thompson.  Their grandson, Harold Thompson jotted down some memories of these brave and hardworking pioneers. 

           “When their first child, Charles D. “Tot” was an infant, the couple lived in a little two room log house just west of Greenwood Ford (on the Caney River) by a spring.  There was a gunnysack over one window and one door.  Every fall starting in August the Indians would come from Nebraska and Dakotas down to Oklahoma to a Corn Dance.  They always camped at Greenwood Ford.  They would stay three or four days and let the horses graze.  They stopped coming in 1893.

     Charles E. farmed 240 acres of cane and kaffir corn with horses and mules and the help of two hired hands. Each fall, he filled two 240 ton silos. In the winter the hands built barbed wire fence in the pastures in the hills.  Grandmother, washed, ironed and cooked for the two hired hands.  She milked two jersey cows, separated the cream and churned butter.  She also raised Rhode Island Red Hens for eggs and  meat.  For breakfast, she cooked pancakes, fried eggs and oatmeal.  The hired hands took (homemade) bread, butter and boiled eggs for their lunch when they went to work in the hills.  On rainy days the hired hands cleaned out the barn or scooped grain from one crib to another so the grain wouldn’t heat. 

  C.E. had 600 sacks of cake (cotton seed meal) delivered to Grenola and had three days to get it off the rail car.   He had two cake houses in the pastures where he stored the sacks of cake.  He unloaded some cake and rock salt from the station at Grand Summit. He received 2,000 lbs. of glass rock salt from Hutchinson and stored some in a 20 X 40 tin building there.  They constructed “ramps” of two 12X 2 pieces of lumber to help unload the cargo. 

           The Campbell place was a mile east and three miles south of Grand Summit, this was the north boundary of the C.E. Thompson pasture.  One of the cake houses was two miles east of the Campbell house, the other in the south pond pasture.  They were wooden building with padlocks on the doors.  He usually stored twenty to thirty sacks and would feed two pounds of cake to each steer.  As needed, when the weather was good, he would send somebody with a team of mules to bring a ton back to one of the cake houses. 

           Grandpa had a Velie automobile, bought in 1914.  He could take out one spark plug and screw a hose in the hole and pump us his own tires when they went down.  He had some kind of anti-leak that he could take out the valve core and put it in there and put air in and it would hold.  He had a bull tractor, one wheel in front and two behind.  The only time it was out of the barn was when they filled the silos.  The silo cutter was run with the tractor.  He had a Model T truck with solid rubber on the hind tires and inflated small front tires.  It was four cylinder, government surplus. He used it to haul the cake from the railroad.”

Charles E. and Cora Thompson.  They owned a large ranch south and west of Grenola.  Charles and Cora had five children.  Charles D. “Tot”, Cora Nell, Robert John, Paul Milton and George Newton.

This week we’ll tell about them and their descendants, many you will know. 

Charles D. (Tot) Thompson was born 1884 and died in 1967.  In 1906, he was married to Bertha Self (1889-1972), daughter of Green and Ruth Self. Bertha had been born in Longton.  Tot and Bertha lived most of their married life on the ranch on Spring Creek.  Charlie Miller lives there now.  Tot followed in his father’s footsteps as a successful rancher.  Their children were: Gladys Mae, Harold, Naomi Nell, Charles Wayne, Lee Harding, and Charles D. Jr. 

1907Gladys Mae Thompson was born in Leeds, Ks.  Gladys attended college at Pittsburg and taught at Wolfe Creek and Greenfield Schools. 

.               The Grenola Gazette, 1929:   “Gerald Mann and Miss Gladys Thompson, both of this place, were united in marriage at Winfield last Thursday, Dec 26, 1929.   Mr. Mann is the son of John W. Mann, and is one of our most energetic young farmers.  His bride is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C.D. Thompson, and is one of Elk County’s most successful school teachers; at the present time is teaching school near Grenola.  Both of these young people were reared here and have a host of friends who join in wishing them happiness and prosperity.”   

The couple had three daughters, Jackie, Betty and Sharon.  The girls attended school at Wolfe Creek School until it closed.  . Gladys died in 1981, Gerald in 1999. 

Jackie graduated Grenola High School in 1948 and married Berkley Cullumber of Cambridge in 1950.  They lived for a time in Matfield Green, then Greensburg, where Mr. Cullumber passed away in 1982.  Their children are Van Allen, Krin Ann (1954-1992, and Kirk Gene.  In 1989, Jackie married Don Endicott and now lives in Emporia.  

               Betty graduated GHS in 1953.  She married Carl Linder in 1954.   They own a business in Wichita and spend week-ends in Grenola, where they farm and live on Betty’s great grandfather T.P. Hawkins homestead.  Betty and Carl have two sons, Brad and Curtis and a daughter, Janice.  Brad and his wife, Kathy live in the Belknap area and have four children, Chelsea, Justus, Colby and Bradley. Curtis is married to Shelly Rogers and they have two sons, Chase and Lucas.  Shelly’s ancestors are the Crowthers from Grenola.  They have a home in Grenola, where they come for weekends and help with the farming.  Janice is married, has two children and they live in Wichita. 

Carl and Betty are often seen at athletic events at West Elk High School.  They are always willing to help with community events and have been supportive of the Historical Society since it’s beginning.

        . Sharon graduated from GHS in 1962.  She married Gene Sobba.   They had one daughter, Shanna Sue, who has three children.  Sharon and her family live in Wichita.

1910 Harold Thompson was born to Tot and Bertha.  In 1935, he married Margaret Holroyd of Cedar Vale.  Their children were Jerry Martin Thompson Wallace Lynn, Kenneth Dale, Judith Carol, Martha Naomi ,and Mark Alan .  Harold lived in Cedar Vale, Borger, Texas, Wichita, and in later years when he was married to Shirley Hagins, in Winfield.  He worked at a meat market in Wichita and many remember seeing him behind the meat counter at Shenemen’s and later Albertson’s in Winfield.  

1914 Naomi Nell was born at the family ranch southwest of Grenola.  In 1940, she was married to Mr. Barney Farabi of Pittsburg. 

“The bride is a graduate of the local high school having attained the scholarship ranking of salutatorian of her class.  Later she attended the Kansas State Teacher’s College at Pittsburg, KS. Where she attained a number of scholarly recognition, one of which, was having been elected to Kappa Delta Pi, national scholastic honorary fraternity.  The past year Naomi has been teaching in Macksville, Kansas and was again elected to the same position but resigned.

Mr. Barney Farabi is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Louis Farabi, Pittsburg, Kansas.  He is a graduate of Kansas State Teachers College at Pittsburg, Kansa.  At present he is a co-manager of the Nu-Grape bottling plant in that city.  Mr. Farabi is considered a very successful young business man.”  The Grenola Gazette,  1939

Mr. Farabi later went on to be the owner of the bottling plant which became the Pepsi-Cola Company.  He died in 1952, while the three children, Terry, Lana Lee, and Steven were very young.  Naomi maintained her interest in the business, raised her children then returned to her teaching career after more hours at Pittsburg State University.  She taught at Pittsburg High School.  While a student at Pittsburg State Teacher’s college in the late 50’s and early 60’s, I sometimes caught a ride with Naomi as she came to Grenola to visit her parents.  Years later, I ran across her at teacher’s seminars.  She was nearly always in attendance at the Alumni Banquet,and was a charter member of the GHS. Naomi died 2000.

1917 Charles Wayne Thompson was born 1917 in Grenola attended Grenola Schools and Pittsburg State University.  He was a Lieutenant in the U.S. Navy, serving in the Pacific Theater of operations during World War II.  In 1938, while still attending college at Pittsburg,  he married Miss Beulah Lamm of Oswego.  Beulah was a teacher.   He died in 1985 at Ft. Leavenworth, where he was working with the Civil Service.  His children: Patrick of Chetopa, Chelsey and Douglas. Funeral in Grenola Methodist Church.  Burial in Greenlawn Cemetery.

1921 Lee Harding Thompson was born in 1921.  He graduated from GHS and attended Pittsburg State University from 1938 – 1942.  He enlisted in the Marine Corps during WWII and fought in the South Pacific for four years.  He worked for the Bank of American in S.F., Ca., then returned to Bartlesville to work for Phillips Petroleum for 25 years. He was married to Eppie Coffey in Texas.  Their children: Leah Mason Bartlesville, Albert and Robert of Copan, Larry of Bartlesville, and Neil of Dewey, Oklahoma   Lee died in 1994.  Though he is buried in Dewey, Ok., a memorial was made in his name to the Grenola Historical Society. 

1923 The last son of Tott and Bertha: Charles D. Thompson Jr was born in 1923 and married Jeannette Thompson they had one daughter, Pamela.  He lived in Ukiah, California at the time of his brother Wayne’s death. . 

               1889 Cora Nell Thompson was the only daughter of Charles E. and Cora.  She graduated from Kansas State Normal School at Emporia where she met W. Morris Jones of Bloomington, Ill.  They were married in 1913.  The Grenola Leader, tells us “Mr. Jones is by profession a teacher, having taught in the schools in East St. Louis, Ill. For eight years, and is a refined and cultured gentleman .Immediately after the wedding ceremony Mr. and Mrs. Jones were driven to Moline by her parents where they took the train for Bloomington, Ill.”  The couple never lived in Grenola, they had two children, Dorothy Nell and Morris Thompson Jones.  Nell died in 1951.

1893 “Robert John Thompson, son of Charles and Cora Thompson was born Feb. 17, 1893 at the family home west of Grenola died Jan 27, 1948 in Wm. Newton Hospital, Winfield the result of injuries in a car accident suffered the night before. The accident occurred on one of the sharp turns between Moline and Elk Falls.  He was a prominent cattleman and rancher of this part of the state, had a pleasing personality and was always ready to help those in need. 

Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Van Patten at the Methodist Church, from a pulpit banked with beautiful floral tributes.  The music was furnished by Miss Irene Edgingtoon with Mrs. Shaw at the piano.  

His entire life was spent in Grenola with the exception of two years with the Army during WW. I.” The Grenola Gazette, 1948. 

On Jan. 12, 1925, R.J. had married Ruth Rader of Howard.  She died from complications of childbirth in May 30, 1930.

“The Grenola Gazette, Oct. 19, 1933 “  The marriage of Miss Christine Barnes of Oxford and Mr. Robert John Thompson of Grenola was solemnized Thursday morning at ten’oclock in the Methodist Episcopal church at Oxford with only relatives of both immediate families as guests.   

The church was decorated with chrysanthemums and other autumn flowers.  The bride wore a fitted gown of taupe trimmed with brown velvet and a velvet hat.  Her accessories were brown.  The bridal shoulder bouquet was of orchids.

               The bride is the only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Barnes of Oxford.  She is a graduate of Ward Belmont seminary and the University of Kansas where she was a member of the Alpha Delta Pi sorority.  She spent two years in Puerto Rico.  She is a prominent in club work as chairman of the fifth district federation of the junior clubs. 

The bridegroom is a son of Mrs. Chas. Thompson of Howard.  He is a prominent landowner in eastern Kansas, with headquarters at Grenola.

Mrs. Thompson chose as her going away costume a swagger suit of green tweed with harmonizing accessories.  Mrs. and Mrs. Thompson left immediately after the ceremony for points of interest in Texas.  After November 1 they will be at home on a ranch near Grenola.  Mrs. Thompson will be welcomed in our little city and community.”  We should mention that Christiine was an attractive young lady with flaming red hair. 

She was welcomed and was active in the church and community.  R.J. and Christine were the parents of two daughters, Nancy and Jane.  A few years after her husbands death, she moved to Winfield, where she lived until her death in 1974.  She was able to manage the large ranch west of Grenola and the acreage is still called the “Mrs. R.J.” pasture.  Her daughters are members of the Grenola Historical Society.  Nancy King lives in Anchorage, Alaska.  Jane Arthur has compiled the family history.

1896 Paul (Jack) Milton Thompson  was born, died in 1954. In 1922, he married Opal Perkins.  Their children are Paul, 1923, Ralph James, 1927, Virginia Kaufmann, and Cora Elaine Dagleish.  In the stories written by his nephew, Harold we learn that he was served in the medical corps all the times he was in the army at Camp Funston(a WW.I. training camp located on what is now Ft. Riley).  He was there during the flu epidemic in 1918 and helped load bodies out on the train in box cars.   He later lived in Howard and his mother, Cora went to live with him after the death of her husband, John W. 

       1898 George Newton (Jim) Thompson born to Charles E. and Cora-a farmer/stockman.  On January 11, 1918, he married Blanche Lucille Harvey.  Blanche was born in Grenola in 1899 to Samuel and Mary Logsdon Harvey.  Blanche and Jim were both members of the Grenola Methodist Church and active in the Oddfellow and Rebekah Lodge.  Blanche was one of the original members of the Busy Bee Quilting Club.   They had three daughters, Marguerite Vaughn of Ellicott City Maryland, Helen Sprague of Grenola and Jimmie Ann Madden of Miami Oklahoma.  He died in 1991, at the age of 93. 

               Marguerite attended Normal Training at Howard graduated in 1937 from GHS and in 1940 married William Vaughn of Independence, Mo.  They made their home in Endicott City, Maryland. They had three children, Marjorie, William (Billy) and Sarah.   William Sr. died in 1997 and is buried in Green Lawn Cemetery.  The Vaughn children visited their grandparents often and though raised in Maryland, Marge chose to return to Elk County and married Richard “Dick” Eastman.  Their three children: Britt, Jennifer, and Julie grew up on the Eastman farm north of Grenola.. William Jr. passed away in March of this year.  He has two children.  Sarah is married to Gil Martinson, lives in Salt Lake City, Utah and has five children. 

Marjorie Helen Thompson graduated from Grenola High School in 1938. 

From The Grenola Gazette, Oct 19, 1939, “Dignity and simplicity marked the wedding of Miss Marjorie Helen Thompson, daughter of Mrs. and Mrs. Geo. N. Thompson, Grenola to William Harold Welborn, of Independence, son of Mrs. W.H. Welborn of that city, Wednesday morning at nine o’clock in the Methodist church in Grenola.  Rev. Royer H. Woodburn read the ceremony before a fern banked altar.  Only relatives and close friends witnessed the ceremony preceding which Miss Jean Miller played “Dreams of Love,” by Liszt; by Fibich.  Miss Miller also sang: “I Love Thee” by Gricy, accompanied by Miss Eunice Griswold.  The wedding party entered the church to the strains of “Wedding March” from Lohengrin.

The bride looked charming in a gold wool dress with a perky hat of moss green and brown accessories.  Her corsage was of Johanna Hill roses and Lilies of the Valley.  She was attended by her sister Miss Marguerite Thompson who was dressed in a street length dress of naughty blue, with black accessories.  Her corsage was of Better Time roses. 

Following a wedding breakfast at the home of the bride’s parents the happy couple left for Independence, Mo., where they have furnished apartments.  For traveling the bride was charming in gray and moss green.”  

.               Helen and Buster, with their children, Renee and Rockne returned to Grenola about 1948. They owned an insurance agency for a number of years until Buster’s death in 1979. Helen is now married to Robert Lee Sprague.  Helen is a member of the Busy Bee Quilting Club, is active in the Methodist Church, the Senior Citizen Club and serves on the township board that oversees the Community Building.

Rockne is married to Joan Gillespie of Moline and they own and operate Liberty Exterminators in Wichita.  They have two children and grandchildren.

Renee married Richard Wells of Independence Mo. and son of Hugh Wells who was Leah Eastman’s brother.  They have four children: Melanie, Debbie, Jeff and Denise.  Richard and Renee owned Wells Lumber and Hardware for a number of years and are active in many community activities. Renee is Grenola postmaster and Richard has served as fire Chief and City council.  Both are active in the Grenola Historical Society as are Helen, Marge and Dick and Rockne and Joan. 

               Jimmie Ann graduated from Grenola High School in 1948 married Roy Lewis of Miami, Oklahoma in 1950.  Their sons are: David, John, Mark, and Sam. Roy worked for B.F. Goodrich and had race horses.   Jimmie married Preston Madden in 1981.  He passed at in New Orleans in 1991.  Jimmie lives in Miami, Oklahoma. 

               Thanks to Helen Sprague for providing the family tree.  We are thankful for the contributions of the Thompson family to the community.  We only wish that more of the younger generation could make their homes here.

Harold and  Shirley Thompson has a daughter Misty Ellen Thompson Murphy b. 21 Sep 1977, she is now living in Nebraska. 

John W. Thompson

History of Kansas 1883  “John W. Thompson, farmer and stock-raiser, P.O. Grenola was born in Belmont County, Ohio, in 1832, but was raised in Tuscarawas County.  In 1836, he emigrated to Madison County, Iowa, where he was engaged in farming and stock raising.  In 1872, he came to Kansas, locating in Elk, then Howard County, and bought a farm of 160 acres in Section 32, Township 31, Range 4 has since added 160 acres, making 320 acres on the Caney River, two miles south of Grenola.170 acres in cultivation, orchard of 100 apple trees, 150 peach, and small fruits, has a fine stone quarry on the place with good stone for making lime.  Was fifty miles from market when he settled here, has served as Assessor and Trustee of his township, and one term as County Commissioner; was married in 1857 to Miss Sharp of Ohio they have six children, viz, Charley, Franklin, Ruth, John W. Jr., Newton and Milton (twins). John is a Member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.”

Grenola Leader, Dec. 28, 1911 “ John W. Thompson was born Nov. 4, 1831 in Tuscarawas county, Ohio and died at his home in Grenola Dec 21, 1911 age 80.  In 1856 he met and married Jane Mary Sharp at Patriot, Ohio and moved to Iowa.  To this union were born seven children, four of whom are living: Charles E., Ruth and Newton and Milton.”  

In 1871 he married Georgia Ann Dunkin (1849-1881) at Wintersett, Iowa.  To this union were born three children of whom two are living.  In 1873 the family moved to Kansas and settled on the home place south of Grenola. (One of the children was Ella Thompson, she was married to G.W. Symmes.  They lived in San Bernadino, Cal.  I fail to find the name of the other child. 

In 1883 he married Mrs. Emma Clark at Grenola.  One child born to them: Delia Thompson.  . 

    “Mr. Thompson held many offices of public trust, four years of which was a treasurer of Elk county from 1892 to 1896, which shows the high esteem in which he was held by his neigbhbors.

He leaves a widow, seven children, many other relatives and a host of friends to mourn his loss. 

The legacy he leaves to the world is in his children, upon whom he prayed that his spirit might descend in double portion.  A life like his makes the work better, and wise are those who take up the mantle he has let fall.”  

Nov. 30, 1922 Mrs. Emma Thompson well known and long time citizen of Grenola passed away Nov 27, 1922 at the home of her daughter Mrs. Fred E. Marshall of Grenola. 

Emma Lee McKeand was born in Babell County, West Virginia, June 11, 1849 and died November 27, 1922 age 73.  She came to Kansas in 1872. In 1870, she married Lewis Clark and had two children, Mrs. Mecca Marshall and John N. Clark of Moline.  Lewis Clark died March 1879.  He was a Methodist minister. 

She married John W.Thompson in January of 1883.  They resided on a farm two miles south of Grenola for the next thirty years.  John W. and Emma’s one child was Delia who married B.G. McCormick, also a Methodist Minister.

Children of John W. and Jane Mary: 

The first child Charles E. was born in Iowa in 1857. He was married to Cora Musgrave.  There will be more about this part of the family next week.

B. Franklin Thompson was born in 1859. His obituary from Dec. of 1884 tells only that he was the son of John W. He is buried on the same lot in Greenlawn cemetery as his father. 

Ruth was born in 1864.

Jan 4, 1901  “Miss Ruth Thompson and Mr. William Shaw surprised the congregations of the Methodist Church Monday evening at Watch night services by appearing at the alter as candidates for matrimony.  Rev. W.T. White pronounced the words that made them man and wife in a beautiful and impressive manner and they passed at once to the depot and took the rain for a short wedding tour.  Mr. and Mrs. Shaw are well known and highly esteemed in Grenola where Mrs. Shaw has been engaged in the millinery business for the past few years and where Mr. Shaw has been engaged in farming and stock raising.” 
Nov. 28, 1902 “Last Thursday, was a sad day in Grenola and vicinity for that morning the news was born about that one of the best of our people had been claimed by death.  No one but took it to heart as a personal loss, for Mrs. Ruth Thompson Shaw had a friend in everyone.  She grew to womanhood in the community, her father Mr. J.W. Thompson and her brothers and sisters are well known and highly respected citizens”. 

John A. was born 1866.
Nov. 2, 1906  Minnie Beasley married John A. Thompson at the home of her parents in Laverne, Ok.   She had been a teacher here, he a prosperous farmer and stockman.  Minnie Belle Beasley was born in 1877 in Pike County, Mo.  She died in 1943.  They had no children.  

May 17, 1945  John A. Thompson son of J.W. and Jane Mary  born at Winterset, Iowa, Nov 26, 1866 died May 12, 1945, age 78.

       “John A., as he was known by all who knew him, came to Kansas with the family in 1870 and settled in the local community, then known as Canola.  He attended the district school and the teacher’s normal at Emporia where he graduated, later teaching in the local schools.  He assisted his father in the County Treasurer’s office at Howard from 1892 to 1896. From 1896 until his retirement, due to ill health, he was known as a farmer and ranchman.

Funeral services were conducted at the Methodist church by Rev. B.G. McCormick of Jetmore.  Pallbearers were nephews of the deceased.  Miss Dea Hart was flower bearer.  Interment was in Greenlawn Cemetery.  J.J. Marshal Mortuary was in charge.”  It was this John A. Thompson who owned the pastures that are still called “the John A.” north of Grenola. 

The twins, Harry Milton and Isaac Newton:

November 11, 1943, “ Harry Milton Thompson was born Feb. 22, 1869 at Winterset, Iowa, and died Nov 4, 1943 at home in Grenola  age 74. 

At age four he moved with his parents to a farm south of Grenola.  “Milt” married Miss Estelle Mae Wilber on Oct 26, 1898. Estelle was born in Middleburg, Ohio.  The three children of “Milt” and Estelle were:Opal Dunshee, Edwin C. and Wilber Thompson.   . Milton was a farmer and stockman lived on his ranch seven miles southeast of Grenola.

June 1, 1927   “Miss Opal P. Thompson was united in marriage to Dr. John L. Dunshee in a double wedding with Charles and Lydia Ware Tomlinson.  Opal had been for many years a teacher in the Grenola schools, Dr. Dunshee a dentist at Moline”.  Their children were Carlyle and Carol.  Opal born in 1899, died in a tragic car accident on the Caney River Bridge just west of Grenola in 1956.

Oct. 19, 1939  “Edwin Carter Thompson son of Milt and Estella Thompson, was born in Grenola, Kansas 1901 and died at Winslow, Arizona, October 15, 1939 in a card accident.  He graduated from the Grenola High School in 1920.  In 1923, he went to San Bernardino, California, where he remained for two and a half years and began to work with the Santa Fe Railway co., in which work he continued until the time of his death.   In February of f1933, he was united in marriage to Miss Josephine Montoyo at Albuquerque, New Mexico.  To this union was born one daughter, Gwenda Lee, who is now four years of age.” 

  Wilber M. Thompson,( 1903 –1987), Wilbur lived in North Main in Grenola, with his mother, until her death in 1953. 

Isaac Newton Thompson, son of John and Jane Mary born in Winterset, Iowa, Feb 22, 1869, died at Yakima, Wash. Dec 28, 1948 at home of his son, Armand.  He moved to Grenola when age two (or four), married Alice May Hillier of Cambridge on May 24, 1879.  A Methodist, his home was one of great hospitality.  “Newt” had served as county commissioner.  The twin brothers spent most of their years in Grenola and there are frequent stories in the newspapers about their celebrating their birthdays together on Washington’s Birthday. 

Feb 19, 1942 Alice May Hillier was born Nov. 17, 1876 at Eagleville, Ohio and died Feb 11, 1942.  Age the age of four, she moved to Cambridge, Ks. where she resided with her parents until her marriage to I. N. Thompson, May 24, 1897.  One son, Armand Wilbur was born in 1905.   .       

    Alice’s father, John Hillier was born in Somersetshire, England, in 1847 and died June 4th, 1923 at the age of 76.  He came to America in 1871 and settled in Tock Creek, Ashtabula, County, Ohio and was married to Annie J. Davis in 1873.  In 1880 he moved with his family to Cambridge, Kansas. To this union were born eight children, Frederick , Alice Thompson, Walter, Edith McCann, Ada Mary, who died in infancy, Lydia Holde, died in 1906, Flora Dwyer and Mabel Craft of Cambridge.  At the age of 14, he united with the Episcopal Church in England where his membership remained until his death. The funeral service was at the Cambridge Presbyterian Church, burial in the Cambridge Cemetery.

           Emma Lee and Armand placed some large framed photos of their families that are on display in the Museum office.
Picture provided by Jack Stegelman
Faye, Rita, Jack and Garrett Stegelman
Garrett Stegelman's Garage on Main Street
David E. Ware

         The first David E. Ware in Kansas staked a claim in Howard County near Grenola. David Edwin” Ed” Ware was born in Piketon, Ohio August 23, 1850 .  He came to Kansas in 1871 with his sister, Mr. D.J. Bishop and family, with whom he made his home until he was married. According the family stories, the Ware family lived near the Ohio River.  Not wanting to experience flooding, Ed perched his house near the top of the tallest hills on his homestead. 

               In 1886, he was married to Sarah E, who had come to the area with her parents, Thomas and Lydia Gobble as a small child.

In the Grenola newspaper of May 19, 1892, we read that a son had been born to Mr. and Mrs. D.E. Ware.  His name was Charles W. and called “Charley”.  In 1894 another son, Frank E. was born,

The two daughters were Harriet, who married the son of Samuel and Elva Snodgras.  They had one daughter, daughter, Vera Berneice. Lydia Alice Ware married Charles Tomlinson, a teacher, in 1927. 

Frank Ware married Glee Wilbur, they had no children, but lived on the home place after Ed and Sarah moved to town in 1919. 

         In the museum is a display of a telephone switchboard that is similar to the one used early in this community.  On it is this story about the beginning of the telephone system in Grenola.      

“The Ware-Sherwood telephone line was started in 1901, when F.H. Bert Sherwood and D.E. “Ed” Ware built a barbed wire line north of Grenola, connecting their homes from the Capp Best farm to the Ware homestead.  Bert Sherwood had gained his knowledge of telephone service from his brother-in-law in Jefferson County, Kansas, who had connected his home and his wife’s family, then developed the telephone system for the town of Winchester.

         While Bert and Ed were finishing the line O.P. Adams and C.A. Meek asked to be included so that the Meek ‘s could call the Adam’s to announce the birth of their first child- a grandchild for the Adams grandparents.

         It wasn’t long until other neighbors became interested and asked to be connected, and before long the line became overloaded, making it necessary to install a switch at the Ware residence, dividing the Caney Valley folks from the Independent district.

         In 1907, L.Q. Adamson installed the central Telephone Exchange in Grenola.  He built lines for a few rural customers, but the line “over the hill” and the town system continued to operate independently.  In 1909 Ed Ware visited with Bert about buying out Mr. Adamson and taking over the Grenola exchange, with Bert assuming the management of the office and the extension and maintenance of the telephone lines.  Thus began the lifelong friendly partnership of Bert and Ed, a partnership that lasted for 40 plus years. 

         After the death of Mr. Sherwood, his wife managed the company for a number of years.  In December 1942, Mrs. Sherwood settled with Mrs. Ware to dissolve the partnership and was able to sell shortly thereafter.”

Mrs. Sherwood sold the company to the Mikesell family of Clearwater, who continue to provide service known as Southern Kansas Telephone or SKT.     

Ed died at the age of 82 in 1935.  When Sarah died in January of 1943, she was one of the oldest settlers remaining.  Both their funerals were held at the Methodist Church in Grenola and burial was in the Greenlawn cemetery. 

Next Generation: Charley Ware

“Last Wednesday evening at 8 o’clock, Mr. Charley Ware and Miss Eva Hankins were pronounced man and wife by Rev. Kendall at the parsonage.  Only a few close friends and relatives witnessed the ceremony.

         The bride is a charming young daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.E. Hankins of north of town.(granddaughter of J.H. & Lucinda Gaddie.) She was raised in this vicinity and has a host of friends.  She is a graduate of the Grenola High School and has taught school. 

         The groom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. D.E. Ware and is a hard working young farmer who farms with a scientific method.  He is a man who has taken the world as it has come, obtaining an education that would fit any man for a high position.  Is a graduate of the University of Baldwin, (Baker University) and is also a graduate of Grenola High School. 

         The general wish is a smooth sail over life’s rugged waves.”

The Grenola Leader, June 8, 1917.

          We know that Charley and Eva lived on the farm that they bought in 1947, just north the town site of Greenfield. Charles and Eva’s children were David Ezra, Robert E”Bob”, and Twyla. 

Twyla Mahood lives in Harper, Ks. and is a member of the Grenola Historical Society.  Robert lived on the original homestead after Frank and Glee moved to town.  Bob and wife, Marla, and two of his children, Tom and Connie Carter live in Moline.  His son Robert is a Kansas State Trooper and lives in Marion, Ks.  Tom and Marty’s sons, Adam and Ryan also live in Moline.       

We don’t want to leave Charlie and Eva without talking about the wonderful rugs that Eva wove on her loom.  Ladies would tear old clothing, sheets, etc. into strips about 1-1/2 inches wide, carefully fold and sew the ends together, roll the strips into balls and take them to Eva, who would weave them into throw rugs.  May of us are still using these sturdy rugs.

Now let’s go to another son of Charley and Eva.  David Ezra Ware (called D.E.) was born on June 7, 1922.  He graduated from Grenola High School.  In January 18, 1942 we read that he was married to Mary Marie Mourning of Clearwater.  He worked at Beechcraft and she worked at Coleman Lamp Company. 

         David E. and Mary lived on a farm just east of the Ed Ware homestead. when their four children were born., David E., Charles, John and Elaine.  The children attended school at Grenola, then the family moved to Wichita in the 1950’s.  David Ezra passed away July 14, 1989. 

         This is not the end of the story.  Their son, David E. or D. E. as we called him in school has moved back to the area.  He and his wife Greta have made a home in these hills next to his parent’s farm.  His two sons, David Eric, Jay Thomas, and a daughter, Jan-Ann all have families and live in Colorado.   

         Altogether, in this family are seven direct descendants of David E. with that name, skipping only one generation.  Also note that the middle name of all the Ware men began with an E.  We are grateful that the Ware’s chose to settle in our area and for all the contributions each generation has made to the community.

Written by
by Shirley Sweet

Geneology by Shirley and Tony Sweet\

My husband, Jim Sweet, had many friends in this area.  One reason was that he was related to nearly everyone.  I will attempt to tell about a few of his ancestors.  Jim was born in Grenola, Kansas on the Ray place north and east of Grenola in1938, the youngest son of Floyd Ernest and Blanche Morris Sweet.

           Floyd Ernest Sweet was born in Grenola in 1903 and died 1982.  He played basketball on the undefeated team of Grenola High in 1922 and graduated from Grenola High School in 1925. He was a teacher for a while, then attended Wichita Business College. In 1927, he married Charlottie Blanche Sweet.  They had four sons, Dwain, Floyd, John and Jimmie.  They lived for a few years in Osceola, Missouri.  About 1947 the family moved back to Kansas and lived at Howard, Kansas for a year where Floyd owned and operated an earth moving machine. He constructed terraces on several farms in Elk County for the Conservation District.  They spent the rest of their life in Grenola.  Floyd served as town Marshall and as Cemetery Sexton, was a member of the Odd Fellow Lodge, and served on the school board.   For over thirty years, they owned and operated the Grenola Grocery and Locker.  He loved to garden and fish.  He is best remembered whistling while at work behind the meat counter in the Grocery Store. 

           Blanche, born in 1909, was a beautiful and talented lady, she could sew and crochet and loved to quilt.  She was a charter member of the Grenola Quilting Club. She also like to garden, entertain her family and was an outstanding cook.  In short, they both worked hard, had many friends, and enjoyed life.  Blanche lived to be 92, still taking care of her yard, garden and home until the last few months of her life.  No one has been able to count the number of beautiful quilts and crocheted doilies that she made.


Floyd was the son of Henderson (Pete) (1871-1954) and Betty Ann Self Sweet.

Henderson’s parents were John C.( 1851-1920) and Sarah Elizabeth Miller Sweet. John C.’s parents were Henderson (b. 1816)and Rebecca Slavens Sweet all from Hart County, Kentucky.  I believe the Sweet’s were from England.

Betty’s parents were George Washington and Matilda Logsdon Self.  G.W.’s ancestor, Robert Self was born in 1637 in England.  He came to America and settled in Virginia. Four generations later, John Self(b. 1765) settled in Hart County, Kentucky.  His son,  George Washington Green Self (1802-1860) married Mary Attebury.  One of their sons, Green McClelland Self (1823-1893) married Martha Jane Logsdon.

One of Green and Martha’s sons was George Washington Self (1844-1933). George and Matilda had  seventeen children.  George was a Methodist Preacher in Hart County.  It was one of their daughters, Betty Ann Self who married Henderson Sweet and together with their daughter, Mollie Tom, they came to Grenola on the train in the 1890’s.  They settled on a farm on Spring Creek where they raised four daughters: Ollie, Lulu, Mollie, Alice, and their son, Floyd.

           The Logsdon ancestors can be traced back to England when  John Loggesdon was born around 1500 in Bedfordshire England.  Four generations later William Logsdon came to settle in the state of Maryland in 1674.  His wife, Honora O’Flynn was born in Kerry County, Ireland.  As a young woman, she was kidnapped and brought on a ship with other young women to America.  William picked Honora from the other young girls on the ship and took her to be his wife.  According to the record “William and Honora O’Flynn Logsdon were progenitors of 99% of all Logsdon families living in the U.S. today.” Three generations later their descendant James Oliver was born in 1771 in Hart County, Kentucky in a place that came to be called Logsdon Valley.  James's son, Thomas Jefferson Logsdon was born in 1815, he married Mary Spurling and it was their daughter, Matilda( 1845-1916) who became the wife of George Washington Self. 

            Charlottie Blanche Morris was the second daughter of Charles Wesley and Isabelle Emma McClure Morris.  Charles and Emma were married in 1907.  They had six daughters.  Charles was killed in a car accident in 1929 leaving two married daughters, Velda and Blanche; and four young daughters, Faye, Opal, Mildred, and Ella to be raised by their mother.  

Charles Wesley Morris(1884-1929) was the son of Charles Morris Sr. and Charlottie J. Cameron.  They came from Indiana and settled near Cloverdale in Chautauqua Co.  Charles Sr.’s parents were Archibald (1814) and Electa Gale of Ohio.    Archiblad was the son of Isaac(1780) and Elizabeth Enochs. It was Archibald’s father, Robert Morris who came here from England and was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.  He started the first US bank and was Secretary of the Treasury and lost most of his wealth financing the Revolutionary War. Archibald and his brothers, Stephen, Isaac, and Frederick fought in the Revolutionary War then settled in Indiana.  Elizabeth Enochs was the daugther of Enoch Enochs and Rebecca Morris Enochs,  The Enochs was a big part of fighting in the revolutionary War, Enoch Enochs was a Captain in the Army and His Father Henry Enochs was a Colonel.

           Emma (1885-1970) was the daughter of Elmer and Lizzie Hall McClure.

           We visited Scotland once and found that people named McClure were called McLeod there and we found the Clan tartan.  But says that the first known ancestor, James Andrew MClure was born in 1650 in Ireland.  His son Halbert (1684) left Ireland in 1736 with his wife Agnes and brother, James and family.  They settled first in Pennsylvania then immigrated to Virginia, where they helped establish the first Presbyterian Church in the area.  There was Halbert’s son John, then Samuel, then his son, Samuel Junior married Elizabeth Purcell.  They moved to Indiana, here Samuel Alex was born in 1828.  Samuel was a soldier in the Union Army during the Civil War.  He was a member of the 48th Iowa Volunteers. Samuel A. and three of his brothers came to Kansas in 1871.  Samuel was married to Evalina.  They settled in the Cloverdale Area.  One of his sons was Theodore Ellsworth Elmer McClure (1862-. 

        Lizzie was the daughter of John C. and Catherine Carpenter Hall in who came to the Grenola area from Ohio. John C. was the son of James David and Elizabeth Spencer Hall of Guernsey County, Ohio.  According to the records John C. Hall was awarded 160 acre land grant after being discharged from the Union Army with a disability from the Civil War.  The farm was on Spring Creek seven miles south of Grenola. 

        Theodore Elmer(1862-1942) and Lizzie were married in 1882 in Des Moines, Iowa.  They came to Chautauqua county about the same time as his parents.  They had three children, William A., Isabelle Emma, and John.  John was born in 1887 and the same year, Lizzie died of Typhoid.  Elmer was left with three small children, but John died at age two.  In 1895, Elmer married Mary Ellen Crowther who became the mother to his two children and the only grandmother the McClure and Morris children ever knew.

           Most of this information and other interesting tidbits can be found on under Ancestors/Sweet Ruziska Family or just click here

This is a letter from a friend of Jim and Shirley's
I felt that it was the best way to describe Jim Sweet
I am sure you will agree 

I'm very sorry to write with what is (for us) very sad news: our dear, dear friend Jim Sweet passed away Saturday in Grenola.  He has been battling a number of illnesses -- lupus, recently cancer and lung problems -- but Shirley and he had gone to Santa Fe with their grandson, Daniel, the week before last, and he suffered a heart attack (perhaps from over-exhaustion or the altitude).  He was rushed to Albuquerque, and his two sons came out together to get all of them home okay.  Things sounded on the upswing, but I guess it was too hard on him.  I'm so glad that he got to see his sons so recently -- he was so proud of them.

Mark and I are very sad about this -- he and Shirley have been incredibly dear friends to us since I met them back in Kansas in 1996.  (I didn't have family around, so Jim used to say that he was the first to give Mark the "thumbs up" as a suitor for me -- and I must say, his and Shirley's approval was a real plus for me!  Of course, when Jim stuck up his thumb, he was missing half of it, so he was also, as usual, kidding around!!) .  He and Shirley came not only to our wedding in San Francisco, but even to my mother's 80th birthday party in 2005 on the Northern California coast.

I have more stories than I can tell about Jim, and consider him one of the most amazing people I've ever known.  He told me stories that made me laugh out loud, amazed me with the lessons he's learned in his life and with his moral strength, showed me places in the Flint Hills that only the local post man would know about.  He introduced me to my first Kansas fish fry (mmm, Blue Gill!), my first buffalo wallow, my first antique "fraidy-hole" (tornado shelter), and my first ride on a six-wheeler (with grandkids squealing), over hill and dale and into some ditches!! 

Jim was a former Marine (if one can ever be a "former" Marine), who had served in a particularly bloody period in Algiers, from which only about 20% of the men he went with came home.  He helped drag bodies out of the rubble of a terrible tornado in Udall, KS.  He was a recovering alcoholic that went on to be an inspiration and mentor to so many, and was a better lay preacher than most of the real preachers I met!  (You all know I'm not terribly religious, but I always enjoyed having Jim lead a prayer over our meals when we were together.)  He and Shirley visited us every place that Mark and I lived but one, and they came all the way down to Brazil even!!  (What memories!!) 

This past January, they made the long trip from Kansas to San Antonio to surprise me for my birthday.  They got two flats on the way, but in that inimitable style, they always attracted assistance.  (Jim thanked his Marine Corps cap for that!)   Once at the hotel, their good humor, friendliness, patience and considerateness made them a favorite with the staff.  Even when Jim became ill in Santa Fe the week before last, they were both able to gain the aid and affection of so many people.

If Mark and I are missing Jim, I can only imagine what Shirley is going through just now.  I know many of you have heard of them both for years, and some have even had the pleasure of meeting them.  I know several of you will want Shirley's address to send a card or note -- so I'm giving it to you in advance here, with my thanks. 

Mrs. Shirley (or Jim) Sweet
86A, Rt. 1
Grenola, KS  67346

Hug a loved one extra tight tonight, okay?

Love, Liz  Wiley

Jimmie Lee Sweet